Became the third Australian and eighth overall to take 500 Test wickets after off-spinner Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.(nathan lyon)
Nathan Lyon became the eighth and third Australian bowler to take 500 Test wickets (nathan lyon 500 wickets) during Australia's first Test against Pakistan in Perth, with captain Pat Cummins hailing him as the most important cog in the attack.
Lyon was halted at 496 wickets after his Ashes-ending shin injury earlier this year, but continued his fine record at the Optus Stadium.
He took 499 wickets (nathan lyon test wickets) in Pakistan's first innings as he claimed Abdullah Shafiq, Imam-ul-Haq and Aamir Jamal.
For a while it looked like he might be run out of wickets as Australia's fast bowlers took on Pakistan's second innings, but in his seventh over he won an lbw decision against Ashraf via DRS. took
"It's something I'm very proud of," Lyon said after the match. "I don't think it's hit me yet. But obviously the journey has been a lot of hard work and I've had a lot of bad days and good days but to be out there in the middle of being back after doing it. A calf with a special group of people, to be able to get 500 in my first Test comeback is very special.
"I was quietly confident it would hit the leg. Revue you are always nervous no matter what. So everyone is very happy."
Lyon joins Shane Warne (708) and Glenn McGrath (563) as the only Australian to hit the 500 club while becoming the fourth spinner on a list that also includes Muttiah Muralitharan and Anil Kumble.
"I still pinch myself when I see my name in front of these guys," Lyon told Channel Seven. "I'm not inferior to those guys in my eyes. In my opinion, Shane Warne is the greatest player to ever play the game and Glenn McGrath's record speaks volumes. To get close to those guys, that's what it's all about. I'm proud."
Cummins was excited to have Lyon back in his team after missing Lyon for the final three Tests of the Ashes series, describing him as the most important member of Australia's four-man attack.
"I don't think it's a secret that he's probably the most important cog in our bowling line-up," Cummins said after the match. "Yes, this game is probably a little bit different. But most games where he's playing 30 overs a day, he's basically just kept down one end and he doesn't score a lot of runs. He takes a few wickets. Wala is there and then we are. Fast bowlers can only swing from the other end. There is no doubt that he was definitely missed in England. As a captain, it becomes very easy to know that this guy Someone who has played 100 Tests knows his craft and can bowl. In pretty much any situation, you let him go to work so it's great to have him back. Yeah, another 500 to go."
Lyon made his Test debut against Sri Lanka in Galle in 2011 and took his first wicket when he caught Kumar Sangakkara at slip. Although it took a few years for him to become a permanent fixture in the team, his success after Warne's retirement ended a revolving door of spinners in the Test team.
Next closest to joining the group with 500 wickets is fellow off-spinner R Ashwin, who currently sits on 489 ahead of India's two-Test series in South Africa and five matches at home against England since late January.
"We've gone head-to-head many times around the world in different situations," Lyon said ahead of the Perth Test. "I've got nothing but respect for Ashwin and the way he's gone about it. I've definitely learned from him. There's an opportunity to learn from the people you play against and know that. Without, he's probably one of my greatest coaches. In a way.
0 Comments